HYT rocks the boat again with a unique blend of traditional watchmaking with their unique hydro time display. This SIHH, they release a new version of the H2: the HYT H2 Tradition.
“We have always said that we would never create a classic piece. Having said that, this is
exactly what we’ve done!“
Vincent Perriard, CEO HYT
Being controversial is one strong suit of Vincent Perriard, the dynamic CEO of HYT. Almost every single one of their watches are controversial. From the first models: the H1 to the mechanical marvel which is the H3, as well as model variations like the Skull and the Maori, the watches make heads turn, and tongues wagging.
This time, the H2 Tradition, a variant of the H2 which uses a APRP (Audemars Piguet Renaud et Papi) movement powers a watch with a retro look. A classic guilloché finish is apparent at first look. To enable the guilloché pattern to be cut on the plate, it had to be made thicker, leaving less room and hence tolerances for the movement had to be tightened. It is also the first HYT with lacquered dials and blued hands. The juxtaposition with the double V shaped bellows at 6 o’clock makes for a futurististic and yet retro look.
But the changes are not simply cosmetic. The balance is recentered to provide space on the dial for the minute subdial. This meant that the H2 movement is almost totally overhauled. The case is also re-designed, and the crown protector removed.
Interesting…as always. And we look forward to our hands-on session with this watch to bring to you the live photographs, and our commentary, analysis soon.
HYT H2 Tradition Specifications
Case: Polished, microblasted and satin-finished white gold and titanium
– Diameter: 48.8 mm
– Height: 17.9 mm
– Screw-down titanium dynamometric crown
– Titanium case middle with light anthracite grey PVD coating
– Rider at 6 o’clock, Roman numeral, titanium filled with blue varnish
– Domed sapphire crystal (box) with anti-reflection coating
– Screw-down sapphire case-back
– Water-resistant to 50 metres
Functions: Retrograde fluidic hours; minutes, seconds
– Crown position indicator (H-N-R)
Movement: Mechanical with manual winding, exclusive HYT calibre
– 21,600 Vph, 3 Hz, 28 jewels
– Microblasted and stainless steel polished bridges with polished and locked internal
– Diamond guilloché main plate in rhodium-plated nickel silver, rhodium-plated bellows
– 192-hour (8-day) power reserve
– Lacquered varnished hour dial with 4N treatment, black Roman numerals
– Lacquered varnished minute dial (12 o’clock) and seconds dial (2:30) with 4N treatment;
blued minute hand
– Black indices (minutes, seconds) and Arabic numerals
– Patent blue alligator and titanium deployant buckle