The Ressence Type 2 with e-Crown which we were so excited about in SIHH 2018 is now a commercial reality for 2019. Full specifications, and price within.
- This announcement is for commercial availability. The e-Crown is not a concept anymore, but is available for purchase now. Price is CHF 42,500 excluding taxes.
- Our hands-on detailed review is the pre-production protytype. Further testing, improving and making reliable of the new technology has been carried out. This is never an easy task, and it has taken an extra year to finally introduce the first mechanical watch with a smart crown.
Main technical differences are:
- The Type 2 has a power saving function. When the watch is not on your wrist for more than 12 hours, the e-Crown will automatically hold the barrel of the mechanical movement, stopping it and conserving mainspring power reserve. When putting the watch back on your wrist, e-Crown will release the barrel. Double tapping the sapphire crystal will start the watch.
- Charging of the e-Crown is not via kinetic power. But a Photovoltaic cell under the hour disc, hidden behind the 10 micro-shutters on the dial will use light as an energy source. Ressence claims this improves the autonomy.
- Aesthetically, the watch is now in anthracite.
Can I register multiple time zones on the Type 2?
For added travel convenience, e-Crown® can register two time zones. Set the second time zone the same way as the first one and switch from one to another via the mode selector on the dial.
Can I use an app to set the time of the Type 2?
Ressence developed the e-Crown® app to reach an unseen level of convenience and modernity. Using Bluetooth to connect with the Type 2, the app displays a scroll down list of cities to choose from for both time zones to send directly to the smart crown.
Why do I not need to wind the Type 2 anymore?
Type 2 has a power saving function. When the watch is not on your wrist for more than 12 hours, eCrown® will automatically hold the barrel of the mechanical movement. When putting the watch back on your wrist, e-Crown® will release the barrel and Type 2 will start running again by double tapping the sapphire.
How does the Type 2 knows the correct time?
Type 2 is not radio-controlled. When you set the watch via the lever or via the e-Crown® app, time is also registered digitally inside the watch.
Functions • Hours • Minutes • Seconds e-Crown® Functions • Second time zone • Mechanical power saver • Self-setting • Time monitoring
Movement • Patented ROCS 2 – Ressence Orbital Convex System – driven by the minute axle of a specially customised 2892/A caliber • Caseback winding and time setting via lever • Self-winding • 36 hours power reserve • 28,800 vibrations per hour • 45 jewels • 37 gears
e-Crown® • 87 components • 1,8 joules of energy per day • Four-layered 0,25mm thick flexible custom-built PCB
Dial • Convex grade 5 titanium anthracite pvd coating dial (75mm diameter) with 3 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 9.75° (hours) and 17° (seconds and e-Crown selector) on jewel micro-ball bearings (gaps between discs are 35 microns) • Custom made photovoltaic cells under 10 micro-shutters • Engraved indications filled with grade A Superluminova
Case • Grade 5 Titanium with anthracite pvd coating • Double domed sapphire crystal with both sides anti-reflective coating • 45 mm (diameter) x 12 mm (thickness) • 1 ATM water-resistance
Buckle & Strap • Ardillon buckle • Strap (22/20mm)
Total Components • 479
Weight • 52 grams
Prices e-Crown® Collection with custom made light charger • Type 2A – Anthracite dial – CHF 42’500 (taxes excluded) • Type 2G – Grey dial – CHF 42’500 (taxes excluded)