Since its inception in 2004, Hautlence had been one of the more interesting watchmakers that produce watches with interesting complications and contemporary aesthetics. This year, Hautlence had done something even more interesting, with the new Playground Labyrinth.
You might have realized by now that the Hautlence does not have any indicator that tells the time. Yes, you are absolutely right! The latest novelty from the Neuchâtel-based watchmaker is not a watch, but a wrist device that features a miniature Labyrinth board game.
The inspiration behind this creation came from the younger days of Sandro Reginelli, the co-founder and CEO of Hautlence. The Labyrinth is one of the out-dated board games that Sandro had played during his childhood, at his grandparents’ house. But the message behind it is rather meaningful: the device is actually a throwback to the good old days when we were young and carefree, and allowed ourselves time to let our imaginations run wild and cut ourselves off from the rest of the world. It is a reminder that sometimes, we should perhaps take a break and allow time to come to a halt (and hence, the lack of an indicator that tells time).
Despite the fact that it is not the horological device, but the attention to detail on the Playground Labyrinth is amazing. One of the interesting features of this device is its crown, in which it features a mechanical lift that feeds the ball onto the board using a camshaft system. Notably, this system can be viewed via the transparent backing.
The Playground Labyrinth, incidentally, is crafted with a myriad of metals. The maze, for instance, is produced with solid 5N gold or solid white gold. Next, the ball is made from either platinum or 5N gold. Finally, the iconic rectangular case of the device is manufactured from Grade 5 Titanium, and it is paired with a brown Louisiana alligator leather strap.
Hautlence will only produce 36 pieces of the Playground Labyrinth (18 for each variant), and they will be priced at CHF 12,000 each. Do keep your eyes peeled though, as Hautlence did mention that the collection is due to expand in the future. We are definitely going to watch out for it!
Hautlence Playground Labyrinth 01/ 02
- Case middle: satin-finished grade 5 titanium;
- Horns, bezel, crown and screws: satin-finished and polished grade 5 titanium;
- Glass: extra-hard bevelled sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment;
- Back: satin-finished grade 5 titanium. 6 screws, engraved with “HAUTLENCE”,
- “Horlogerie Suisse”, “Playground-Labyrinth 01”, numbering;
- Visible movement ;
- Dimensions: 37 x 43.5 x 13 mm.
- Mechanical lift including bevel gears;
- Number of jewels: 9;
- Finish: sand-blasted, vertical satin finishing with diamond-lapped angles.
- Labyrinth in solid 5N gold, with vertical satin finish, diamond-lapped angles and polished platinum ball/ Labyrinth in solid white gold, with vertical satin finish, diamond-lapped angles and 5N gold ball.
- Brown, satin-finished Louisiana alligator leather, large square scales, hand-sewn rolled-edge/ Black, satin-finished Louisiana alligator leather, large square scales, hand-sewn rolled-edge;
- Folding clasp: titanium with satin-finished steel plate/ titanium with black, satin-finished DLC-treated steel plate.