The history of U.S. Military is a fascinating one, with many inspiring and outstanding individuals throughout its history. One of them is Carl Brashear, a Master Diver in the U.S. Navy. He is not just any Naval Diver; this extraordinary being is the Navy’s first African American Master Diver, and he is notably the first amputee diver to do so.
Carl Brashear was the protagonist in the movie “Men of Honor” starring Cuba Gooding Jr, as Brashear. To commemorate such an inspiring figure, Oris decided to produce a timepiece in honor of him: the Oris Carl Brashear Limited Edition. This watch is based on the Divers Sixty-Five, and it is notably the first timepiece in Oris’ repertoire to be cased in bronze.
The choice of case material, for this timepiece, is a rather fascinating one indeed. The idea behind it was the deep-sea diving helmets in the 1950s, in which they are produced in bronze. Moreover, it will “patina” over time, from the process in which the copper content reacts with carbon dioxide and moisture. This will cause the watch to age into a darker color, and hence giving it a unique characteristic. We reckon that it will pair very well with the dark blue dial and the domed sapphire crystal of this watch.
The watch will be fitted with the Caliber 733, an automatic movement that is based on the Sellita SW200. It features a date indicator at the 6 o’clock position, and it features a power reserve of around 38 hours.
The Oris Carl Brashear is priced at CHF 2,600, and it comes with a dark brown leather strap with a bronze pin buckle. Additionally, it will be presented in a special wooden box, affixed with a U.S. Navy Master Diver badge. The watch will be limited to just 2,000 pieces.
Oris Carl Brashear Limited Edition
Ref. No. 733 7720 3185 LS, Ø 42.00mm
Limited to 2,000 pieces
– Automatic movement Oris Cal. 733, based on Sellita SW200, with date at
– Multi-piece bronze case and screw-in bronze crown. Water resistant to 10
– Diver’s unidirectional revolving bronze top ring with 60-minute timer. Zero
marker filled with Super-LumiNova®
– Bubble-curved sapphire crystal domed on both sides and with anti-reflective
– Screwed stainless steel case back with special engraving and engraved
– Dark blue, curved dial with applied rose gold plated indices, filled with Super-
LumiNova®. Hour, minute and second hands rose gold plated and filled with
– Dark brown leather strap with bronze pin buckle
– Swiss retail price CHF 2,600