In 1975, the legendary Formula 1 driver Niki Lauda won his first world championship title with Ferrari. To commemorate this special occasion, Jack Heuer had specially created a chronograph to celebrate the wondrous occasion. This watch is also known as the Heuer Monza Chronograph.
At that point in time, the Monza was stylish and seemingly different from most of the other watches in the era. The timepiece features a black PVD coussin case, which was inspired by a 1925 model. It is matched with a black dial that is contrasted by red hands and counters to reflect its racing heritage.
40 years on, TAG Heuer had decided to produce a reissue that is faithful to the original Monza. It features the same black coussin case, but with modern touches to it. For the reissue, TAG Heuer had decided to produce the case in Grade 5 Titanium, and finished with black titanium carbide coating. Its case size had also been increased, from 39mm to 42mm.
Continuing with aesthetics, the Monza Reissue also features a black dial, with black and white lacquered hour and minute hands as on the original. The indices are also made with vintage Orange Superluminova, which gives it a classic appearance. Finally, the dial is finished off with the historical HEUER logo.
The watch is powered by the Calibre 17, an automatic movement that was based on the ETA 2894. It features a chronograph function, as well as a date indicator.
The TAG Heuer Heuer Monza Chronograph is one of the few rare reissues, and we reckon it is one of the closest to its original variant. The watch will also feature a special screw-on caseback, in which it is numbered and will feature a HEUER logo that is engraved with red lacquer finish. To complete the timepiece, the Monza will be fitted with a “super racing” strap, in full-grain black calfskin with top-stitching.
For more information, please visit TAG Heuer’s website here.
TAG Heuer Heuer Monza Chronograph
- TAG Heuer Calibre 17 – Automatic Chronograph with date
- “15 beat” pulsometric scale (the chronograph is activated on the first beat and stopped on the 15th) and the tachymeter scale which converts time into speed.
- Diameter 42 mm
- Case and bezel in grade 5 titanium, brushed and polished, with black titanium carbide coating
- Domed sapphire crystal with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coating on both sides
- Crown in polished steel with engraved Heuer logo
- Push-buttons in polished steel
- Screw-on case back
- “MONZA HEUER” engraved on the back with the piece number
- Black sunray
- Two counters: Minute chronograph at 9 o’clock and running seconds at 3 o’clock
- Date window at 6 o’clock
- “Vintage” luminescent indices with orange SuperLuminova
- Black and white lacquered hour and minute hands
- White counter hand at 9 o’clock and red counter hand at 3 o’clock
- Red Chronograph second hand
- Tachymeter scale and pulsometer printed on the flange
- Vintage Heuer logo and printed “MONZA” and “Automatic – Calibre 17” inscriptions
- Full-grain perforated calfskin with top-stitching with titanium clasp with black coating
- Safety push-buttons and engraved Heuer logo