Aligning with his philosophy of combining high-end horology with avant-garde designs, the Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor in new Natural Titanium and Black Titanium features a 22k gold micro-rotor cased in an ergonomic 39.5mm case, blending horological sublimity and stylish wearability.
Sweeping around the centre of its highly legible dial are small seconds surrounded by an hour-minute subdial at 12 o’clock, beating balance at 6 o’clock and, at 9 o’clock, the swaying bidirectional micro-rotor, framed by a cut-out in the mainplate. This compact oscillating weight turns fluidly and noiselessly between two bridges, winding a serially operating double mainspring barrel that, when fully wound, provides 80 hours of power.
The exquisite manufacturer movement can be seen clearly through its display back: The sinuous shapes of the hand-bevelled, hand-polished bridges – secured using Romain Gauthier’s signature S-slot screws – are juxtaposed by the linear plaquettes adorning them, while the gears and ratchets stand out for their circular arms that have been bevelled.
Part of these timepieces’ splendour lies in the contrasts created by the various finishes applied: Light and dark, polished and satin-finished, straight-grained and hand-frosted.
For Insight Micro-Rotor Natural Titanium, the caseband and bezel are polished, while the lugs and caseback are satin-finished. The black NAC-treated mainplate makes the palladium-treated bridges visually pop, with the straight-graining of the dial-side bridges counterpointed by the hand-frosting on the mainplate. Additionally, the oven-fired enamel dial bears a sumptuous gloss.
For Insight Micro-Rotor Black Titanium, the bezel, lugs and caseback of the ADLC titanium case are satin-finished, with the caseband polished. Both the bridges and mainplate are black NAC-treated but the straight-graining on the bridges makes them stand out against the hand-frosted mainplate. The same hand-frosting technique has been used to give the oven-fired enamel dial an eye-catching matte finish.
The result is the apotheosis of the daily, luxury timepiece that is a joy to look at, feels great to wear and fits in with manifold lifestyles.
Insight Micro-Rotor Natural Titanium and Black Titanium are both available in three 10-piece limited editions: with oven-fired white enamel dial, oven-fired black enamel dial and oven-fired blue enamel dial. Strap options include casual matte black alligator leather and supple black natural rubber.
Grade 5 natural titanium case, black NAC- and palladium-treated movement – 3 x 10-piece limited editions
– 10 pieces with oven-fired white enamel dial on 18k gold base, flame-blued steel hands
– 10 pieces with oven-fired black enamel dial on 18k gold base, 18k white gold hands
– 10 pieces with oven-fired blue enamel dial on 18k gold base, 18k white gold hands
ADLC Grade 5 titanium case, black NAC-treated movement – 3 x 10-piece limited editions
– 10 pieces with matte, oven-fired white enamel dial on 18k gold base, flame-blued steel hands
– 10 pieces with matte, oven-fired black enamel dial on 18k gold base, 18k white gold hands
– 10 pieces with matte, oven-fired blue enamel dial on 18k gold base, 18k white gold hands
Features and indications
– Off-centre hours, minutes and small seconds; in-house, bidirectional, automatic movement featuring 22k gold micro rotor and double mainspring barrel in series for generous 80-hour power reserve
Dial and hands
– Oven-fired enamel dial on 18k gold dial base, with 18k gold hands or flame-blued hands, depending on which edition
Movement and finishing
– Dimensions: 32.1mm x 6.8mm
– Power reserve: 80 hours
– Number of jewels: 33
– Number of components: 206
– Balance frequency: 28,800 vph / 4Hz
– Components in: 22k gold micro-rotor, steel, stainless steel, beryllium copper, brass and German silver
– Finishing: Highest-level haute horlogerie hand-finishing
– Dimensions: 39.5mm x 12.9mm at highest point
– Water resistance: 50m/5atm/170ft
– Sapphire crystal with interior anti-reflection coating, front and display back
– Crown for winding and time-setting at 2 o’clock
Strap and buckle
– Choice of matte black alligator leather or black natural rubber strap
– Choice of pin buckle in natural titanium or ADLC titanium, or deployant buckle in natural titanium