Aligning with it’s philosophy, Oris introduces its second limited edition bronze watch made to remember the inspirational legacy of heroic US Navy Master Diver, Carl Brashear.
Like the first watch, a time-only piece, the Oris Carl Brashear Chronograph Limited Edition is based on the Oris Divers Sixty-Five and cast in bronze. The material was chosen again to represent the early diving equipment Brashear used, which was also made of bronze. And – parallel to Brashear, the natural warmth which bronze radiates makes it an appealing material for use in watches.
The Oris Carl Brashear Chronograph Limited Edition uses bronze throughout, for its case, bezel, crown and pushers. This is only the second time Oris has used it for the case of a wristwatch – the only other time being for the first limited edition made in Carl Brashear’s name. It’s ability to age naturally, subject to atmospheric moisture and the pH levels in the wearer’s perspiration, means that each of the 2,000 watches made will take on a unique look and be tailored to its wearer.
Inside the watch is Oris Calibre 771, a special movement with a two-counter chronograph and a formidable 48-hour power reserve. It’s based on Sellita’s SW 510 and appears in the Oris collection for the first time.
Oris has chosen a chronograph function for this special watch as a symbol of the number of times Carl Brashear was stopped by factors in his life he couldn’t control, and yet always got back up again. His mantra, often repeated during his lifetime, was: “It’s not a sin to get knocked down, it’s a sin to stay down.”
The dial’s balanced, symmetrical layout is known as ‘bicompax’ and gives the watch its classic chronograph look, which is further enhanced by the absence of a date indicator. The subdial at 3 o’clock is a 30-minute counter; the subdial at 9 o’clock a small seconds. The dial is blue, a handsome complement to the bronze case and a reminder of the deep water into which Brashear ventured so often and so bravely.
The watch comes on a vintage brown leather strap and has a Swiss retail price of CHF 4,700.
Oris Carl Brashear Chronograph Limited Edition
Ref. No. 01 771 7744 3185 LS, Ø 43.00 mm
Limited to 2,000 pieces
– Automatic chronograph movement Oris Cal. 771, based on Sellita SW 510
– Multi-piece bronze case with screw-in bronze crown and pushers.
– Water-resistant to 10 bar/100m
– Diver’s uni-directional rotating bronze bezel with 60-minute timer. Zero marker filled with Super-LumiNova®
– Bubble-curved sapphire crystal, domed on both sides and with anti-reflective coating inside
– Screwed stainless steel case back with embossed diver’s helmet and Carl Brashear’s mantra: ‘It’s not a sin to get knocked down, it’s a sin to stay down’ and engraved limited edition number
– Dark blue, curved dial with applied, polished, rose gold-plated indices, filled with Super-LumiNova®. Rose gold-plated hour, minute and central seconds hands, filled with Super-LumiNova®. Rose gold-plated chronograph minute and running seconds hands
– Brown leather strap with bronze pin buckle (additional stainless steel pin buckle also supplied)
– Presented in a luxurious wooden box with additional stainless steel pin buckle and with Carl Brashear Foundation commemorative coin inside