Aimed at people with a unique sense of style, the Oris Big Crown Pointer Date in bronze gives a fresh expression to one of Oris’s most historically important watches.
The Oris Big Crown Pointer Date – on which the new bronze model is based – is more than a landmark in the company’s archive of inventive, high-performance watches. In the 1980s, it marked a watershed moment for the company when it was reintroduced to spearhead Oris’s mission to champion the eternal value of mechanical watchmaking in the face of the quartz revolution. With its smooth, round case and tapered lugs, coin-edged bezel, oversized crown, clear, functional dial, and central pointer hand indicating the date, it is one of Oris’s most recognised designs, and one of the most iconic pieces in all of watchmaking.
The new Oris Big Crown Pointer Date picks up on this story for a new generation of stylish, forward-thinking mechanical watch buyers. Oris’s designers have reworked the case to be slimmer, smoother and more seamless so that it slips elegantly onto the wrist. Much of this contemporary profile is delivered by the watch’s bubble-curved sapphire crystal, a feature that both enhances the watch’s vintage aesthetic and gives it its up-to-date feel.
Oris’s designers turned to bronze for its dynamic qualities. Over time, bronze develops a patina as it reacts with moisture in the air and with the PH levels of the wearer’s skin. Because of this, over time no two watches will look the same – each watch becomes as unique as its owner.
As well as its distinctive 36mm bronze case, the new model is distinguished by its light green dial inspired by a colour keyboard in Le Corbusier’s Polychromie architecturale. This gives it an edgy, urban feel, in keeping with the ambitious audience it’s aimed at.
In keeping with Oris’s philosophy to only make mechanical watches, the Big Crown Pointer Date is powered by a Swiss Made automatic movement. This powers its rose gold-plated hour, minute, central seconds and pointer date hands, the latter indicating the date against a scale that runs around the edge of the dial.
The warm, confident look is completed by a naturally tanned light brown leather strap.
Oris Big Crown Pointer Date
Ref. No. 01 754 7749 3167 LS, Ø 36.00 mm
– Automatic movement Oris Cal. 754, based on Sellita SW 200-1, with pointer date function
– Multi-piece bronze case with screw-in bronze crown. Water-resistant to 5 bar
– Screwed stainless steel case back with see-through mineral crystal
– Sapphire crystal domed on both sides with anti-reflective coating inside
– Green dial with printed Super-LumiNova® Arabic numerals, polished rose gold-plated hour, minute filled with Super-LumiNova® and polished rose gold-plated central seconds hands. Polished rose gold-plated central pointer date hand with white tip
– Naturally tanned light brown leather strap with bronze pin buckle
– Swiss retail price CHF 1,800