Launched in 2013, the Omega Speedmaster “Dark Side of the Moon” was one of the most popular novelties that year, thanks to its stealthy and intriguing black ceramic case. This year, Omega had decided to go a step further, by incorporating the stylish ceramic case into the Planet Ocean collection. Presenting to you, the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean “Deep Black”.
For this collection, Omega decided to launch four variants – with some differences in materials and styling.
For the first one, we have the “Deep Black” with 18k Sedna Gold. The combination, on picture, looks pretty stunning. We like how the gold and the ceramic bits complement each other nicely on picture, as it gives off a nice contrast without making the former looking too gaudy or ostentatious.
Notably, this watch is fitted with a water-resistant leather strap, with anti-bacterial rubber underside.
On the other hand, the “Deep Black” on black version is rather stealthy and mysterious. Notably, for both this and the 18K Sedna Gold model, the 45.5mm ceramic case is polished to give the glossy effect.
We then move over to the “Red” and “Blue” model, which are arguably the most striking pieces among the lot. One of the main highlights of the two watches is the bezel- a combination of both rubber and ceramic. The colored rubber print is conspicuous on the first fifteen minutes of the diving scale.
Unlike the 18K Sedna Gold and “All Black” model, both the ceramic case of the “Red” and “Blue” model features a matte finish. This is to ensure greater visibility under water.
Also, unlike the Sedna Gold model, the other three watches are fitted with black rubber straps that are textured to give it an appearance that resembles fabric. The stitching, however, will be matched with the theme of the watch.
The Movement: Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 8906
The quartet are fitted with Omega’s in-house Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 8906, which features both the date indicator and GMT function. The automatic movement also features the usual features: anti-magnetism of up to 15,000 Gauss, Silicon “Si14” balance spring, and the iconic Co-Axial Escapement. In addition, the movement has a decent power reserve of around 60 hours, with the aid of two barrels that are mounted in series.
This particular movement also features some interesting touches too, in terms of finishing. The bridges and rotor, for instance, are rhodium-plated. Also, the movements feature Geneva waves. Additionally, to complement the theme, the movement also features blackened screws, barrel and balance wheel.
The watch, as mentioned, is fitted with many new features. One of the main ones is the combination of both rubber and ceramic for its bezel, as seen in the “Red” and “Blue” model. It does sound interesting on paper, although we will need to see the actual piece to gauge how well it works out.
On that note, the watch is also fitted with a new GMT ring, fixed in the dial side. The color scheme of the ring will be matched with the ones that are featured on the watch.
Also, the ceramic cases, as per the ones that are fitted on the ‘Dark Side of the Moon”, are made from a single block of ceramic. This is to ensure that they are capable of withstanding pressure at depths of up to 600m. In addition, they are paired with a matching ceramized titanium clasp to complete the stealth look.
Top to it off, this series of watches are fitted with a caseback fitted with Omega’s new patented Naiad Lock system. This ensures that the caseback are oriented perfectly, and that the engraved wordings sit perfectly in the correct position. In addition, the alveol design of the caseback also offers an aesthetic wave pattern.
Price and Availability
According to Omega, the “Deep Space” Collection will be avaialble at the boutique from October onwards. The prices for the models are as follow:
- Black/Black 22.214.171.124.01.001 –SGD$16,150
- Black/Sedna Gold 126.96.36.199.01.001 –SGD$21,500
- Black/Blue 188.8.131.52.01.002 – SGD$16,150
- Black/Red 184.108.40.206.01.003 – SGD$16,150
For more information, please check out Omega’s website here.
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean “Deep Black”
- Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 8906
- Watch officially certified by METAS
- Self-winding in both directions
- Jewels: 38
- Frequency: 25’200 A/h (3.5 Hz)
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Exclusive features with:
- Magnetic resistant 15’000 Gauss
- GMT/2nd time zone indication
- Time zone function
- Silicon “Si14” balance spring
- Omega free sprung-balance
- Co-Axial Escapement, 3 levels
- 2 barrels mounted in series
- Special luxury finish:
- Rhodium-plated rotor and bridges
- Geneva waves in arabesque
- Blackened screws, barrels and balance wheel
- Central hour-minute-seconds-GMT hands, date window at 3H
- Case: Black ceramic [ZrO2]
- Dial: Black ceramic [ZrO2]
- Bracelet: Rubber
- Clasp: Black ceramic [ZrO2] – Titanium
- Diameter: 45.50 mm Height: 17.18 mm
- Water resistant up to: 60 bar (600 m / 2000 ft)
- Polished-brushed casebody
- Uni-directional rotating bezel; polished black ceramic [ZrO2] ring with Liquidmetal® diving scale; dot at 12H with white Super-LumiNova (green emission)
- Screw-in crown with Ω in Liquidmetal®; helium escape valve with “He” in Liquidmetal® at 10H
- Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- New Naiad Lock ceramic [ZrO2] caseback with chromium nitride marks
- Polished black ceramic [ZrO2] dial with 18K white gold applied indexes; white Super-
LumiNova (blue emission)
- New applied Arabic numerals
- New transferred minutes track
- Blackened GMT ring
- Dial engraved with [ZrO2] (under center hole); “Seamaster”, “GMT” and “600m / 2000ft” in transferred orange
- Polished facetted 18K white gold hands with white Super-LumiNova
- Blue emission : hour & seconds hands & GMT hands (in line with indexes)
- Green emission: minute hand (in line with the dot on bezel)
- Seconds & GMT hands with varnished orange tip / arrow
- New integrated black structured rubber strap with black rubber lining
- Foldover clasp, ceramic top-bottom covers and pushers; ceramised titanium frame-
- Fitting : 22 mm between lugs, 20 mm on clasp
- 4-year warranty
- Delivered with a Master Chronometer certification card, ensuring that the watch has passed the tests certified by METAS